October 23rd, 2019
9:15 am - 10:15 am
All of us know what it’s like to be tired or sleepy. But what if you felt tired all day, every day? For many American workers, this is the norm.
Why are Americans not getting enough sleep? Experts think there are five main reasons:
- They don’t know the importance of sleep
- They have economic and social pressures to stay awake
- They simply have too much to do
- They suffer from sleep disorders
- They work shift work or more than 40 hours per week
When you get less sleep than you need, the results are often slowed reaction time, reduced vigilance, reduced decision-making ability, poor judgment, distraction during complex tasks, and loss of awareness. The safety implications in all areas are staggering.